In the Present Moment: Thankful

I have never really been one of those "I'm thankful for..." kind of people around the Thanksgiving holiday. In truth, even though I can be a very emotional and sappy kind of gal, I always found the whole "I'm thankful for..." exercise at the Thanksgiving dinner table - well - just a bit hokey.

I suppose until this year I took the Thanksgiving holiday and my life a bit for granted.

Thanksgiving was always just about getting together for a crazy big sumptuous meal and a day of family fun (and/or family drama...)

But in this difficult year when there has been so much turmoil, so much sadness and uncertainty, when so much has happened in our family...

  • The loss of Chris' maternal grandmother - Babci.
  • My mother-in-law coping with breast cancer, chemo, surgery, radiation therapy and the loss of her mother all in the same year.
  • My father dealing with a second and much worse melanoma, surgery and a difficult recovery with complications that no one expected.
  • Our youngest cousin who has a degenerative condition coping with numerous and lengthy hospital stays and the matching with and then devastating separation from her service dog
  • The loss of one of the beloved family dogs - Maggie - just a few months ago.
  • Annabel being taken so suddenly from us.


...I'm not taking anything for granted anymore.

I am going to say out loud and clear and to whoever might listen...

I AM THANKFUL.

I AM THANKFUL.

I AM THANKFUL.

I am thankful for ALL that I have in my life...

  • Wonderful husband who I adore
  • Amazing family - both biological and the one into which I married
  • Lovely and supportive friends all over the world
  • The opportunity and ability to adopt and expand our family by a Little One
  • Beautiful and loving pets
  • Nice home and lovely, safe community in which to live
  • Job with caring and wonderful colleagues and enough income to go beyond having just the basic necessities to be able to live comfortably
  • Our health (knock on wood)
  • Love and laughter and joy


Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Present Moment: Margaret's Birthday

In the Present Moment: Transracial adoption...one of these things is not like the other

In the Present Moment: Can I really call myself a writer?